Monday, November 18, 2013

Talents

Tonight was the closing night of a musical I was in. This was fun, because it was the first musical I actually got a lead role. I was so excited, and the whole experience helped me grow a lot. But now, I've decided to stop pursuing theater. I love acting, but it's not for me.

It was really hard for me to decide not to do theater. I feel like it is a talent that God gave to me. However, I also realized that the other things I wanted and needed to do didn't fit into my life when I was going to rehearsals and performances. Homework and friends got pushed to the back of my mind once school was out, and all I did all day was run around trying to get ready for the play.

This wore me out, and I soon found that I wasn't just forgetting homework and friends, but also God. I would stay up really late doing homework, and then sleep in with barely enough time to get out the door for school. I was forgetting to read my scriptures and say my prayers, and then I would decide I was "too tired" when I remembered.

Heavenly Father helped me out. When I first decided not to do theater, I was worried about what other people would think. Theater was something I'd put a lot of time into, and now I was suddenly just deciding that I wasn't going to do it anymore. While I never felt that I really truly fit right into the acting world, I didn't feel like I could just leave it. I'd been away from other people for so long, I didn't know if I could go back and be completely accepted. But as I made the decision to leave theater behind me, I saw God helping me and assuring me that I was making the right choice through the little things daily. It's usually through the little things that God shows his love and care to us.

I know that God has a plan for me and that He will help me make the choices I need to so that I can achieve that plan. He cares about me and knows me and loves me, and I've really been able to see that love this last week.

Just because you have a talent doesn't mean that you should pursue it as a career. Of course, God gives us our talents for a reason, and they are meant to be used! But you can still use your talents, even if you don't decide to dedicate the rest of your life some of them. I learned that this week, and I am very thankful that I was able to learn that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment